Monday, May 08, 2006

My first post & "Better than Perkins Pancakes"

"I have had three personal ideals. One to do the day's work well and not to bother about to-morrow. It has been urged that this is not a satisfac­tory ideal. It is; and there is not one which the student can carry with him into practice with greater effect. To it, more than to anything else, I owe whatever success I have had-to this power of settling down to the day's work and trying to do it well to the best of one's ability, and letting the future take care of itself. The second ideal has been to act the Golden Rule, as far as in me lay, towards my professional brethren and towards the patients committed to my care. And the third has been to cultivate such a measure of equanimity as would enable me to bear suc­cess with humility, the affection of my friends without pride and to be ready when the day of sorrow and grief came to meet it with the courage befitting a man."

Sir William Osler
L'ENVOI, IN AEQUANIMITAS, 450-1.

Thanks William... a fine quote to start a blog (and to live by...)


What you’ll find here…
reflections…
recipes (that worked and those that stunk!) with pics…
more pictures of the little one…

What you won’t find here –
weapons of mass destruction
*********
*********
For the first post – in memory of Dad – a recipe… When I told Dad I could make pancakes from scratch, his comment was, “Yeah, but they probably aren’t as good as the ones at Perkins.” I smiled and made ‘em.
Here’s the recipe for what I call “Better than Perkins Pancakes” (it takes some time, but these are now what is expected at our household, just a warning…)

I’m honored that Dad got to try them…


Better than Perkins Pancakes

The Dry:
1 ½ cup flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 ½ tsp baking powder
Pinch salt
Griddle set at 350-375 degrees.

The Wet:
1 cup milk
½ cup of vanilla yogurt
(place in bowl and whisk)
3 tablespoons melted butter
2 eggs – separated yolks and whites
1 tsp vanilla

Directions:
Mix dry together and set aside.

In bowl that can accommodate all ingredients whisk the milk and yogurt together.
Melt butter (in microwave, over open fire, or an alternative heat source)
and add egg yolks to melted butter and mix together
(this allows the fat in the butter to combine with the egg, which then acts as an emulsifying agent allowing better integration into the milk mixture – just do it, ok?)

Add butter/egg yolks to milk/yogurt mixture while constantly stirring.
Beat egg whites to stiff peaks.

Add dry to wet and mix until just combined.
Don’t worry about lumps (everyone does at first, trust me – they’ll go away)

FOLD in the egg whites in two installments.

I use a ½ cup measuring cup to dish out mixture onto griddle
(if you dont have a griddle... get one!)
Then cook them (flip em when their brown -)

Serve with whatever. Truth be told, I don’t care much for pancakes (but my family does), and I enjoy these without any syrup…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home