Friday, January 19, 2007

Sushi Q, baby I love you

In Mexico we have a word for sushi: Bait.
Jose Simon

I can hear my mom (and a few other family members) nodding their heads in agreement with this statement. Fine, that just mean more for me (and maybe my cousin's family who live in Columbus). Going to a sushi bar by yourself is boring (by myself, since said family members dont like sushi), so I brought the sushi home to me!

For the sushi purists out there - ok, ok, I didn't do sashimi (heck I didn't even do nigiri) - I made the California roll. I know it has no raw fish in it, but I wanted to test my rolling techniques and didn't want to drive to Jungle Jim's (the only place where I'd trust a fishmonger in the Cincinnati area, though Mitchell's Fish Market might do, too). Purists complain ll you want, but this is my first step on a long (lifelong?) journey.

So BYON (bring your own Nori) and come on look at the pics!

First of all, I need to perfect my rice (i have a rice cooker, courtesy of incessant pleading from Cara), but it was a little too gummy - any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Secondly, I learned the importance of being earnest (hah!). No, I learned the importance of having fresh produce available - see pictures. The brown of the avocado aint supposed to be there (Kroger usually has good produce, but I got a bad deal with these). Once I cut into these mushy fruits and swore I'd never buy avocados from Kroger again I made a mad dash to Country Fresh - a small market near Kroger with awesome produce selection, i even made off with some wasabi paste - proof is in the pics...

I think I tried to be too American and tried to fill my California roll with too much stuff - minimal is better (at least when rolling). Oh yeah -What is a California roll - it's cucumber, avocado, and crab rolled inside out (rice on the outside) with sesame seeds (i did get good crab at Kroger, 4.99 per #)

But, my first California roll turned out ok...
Such presentation - iron chef america here i come!
Can you find the hidden mickey?



Tasting it was better.

Cara thought the Nori smell was going to make her puke... (not a good sign)

Bottom line - it was good. Cheaper than going out. I need a better knife. I want to try nigiri or more rolls with raw fish (tuna, especially), I need to fine tune the rice...

also, a shameless plug to a good pop (ha! soda) - we found this at Costco and it is definitely good- no aspartame, no caffeine and quite good... Diet Hansen's... Black Cherry is also good.

Til next time...

Sushi rocks

4 Comments:

At 1:14 PM, Blogger Tracy Anne said...

Hey Trent! Don't know if you know who I am but I'm your second cousin, originally from California so I've got sushi eating down and yes, I have also made it! I think your issue with the rice is that it may have had too much water in it. If you use the measure cup that came with the cooker and fill water to the line in the cooker you should be okay in the future. I've been making veggie rolls with brown rice and lots of wasabi! Yummy!

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger Tracy Anne said...

Hello again Cousin! I went to Costco last night to find this Hansen's soda pop and they don't carry it in Atlanta! Needless to say I was bummed! So far I've only found 2 aspartame free diet sodas here, c'mon Atlanta, you're a big city, let's get with the program...

 
At 12:00 PM, Blogger The Hummels said...

Tracy...

Thanks for the comments! I will try the rice with less water next time... i also want to do negiri or tuna rolls. You are in Atlanta? I was down there a year a go for a hematology conference - had a good time... keep checking in, I appreciate it - the other good thing about Hansen's pop - no sodium either... Check out our other blog (family) thehummels.blogspot.com

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger Tracy Anne said...

Hello again Trent! I have actually visited both your other blogs! Crafty Cara sure is crafty! Yes, Mom and I are here in Atlanta, it's a great place to be. We got together this weekend and were talking about you, were your ears burning? We were talking about how your sense of humor is so much like your uncle Barry and your grandfather, Paul Hummel. Found the Hansen's soda at my local Trader Joe's! Woo hoo!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home